KAddressBook on a server?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Apr 5 06:12:27 UTC 2012

Am 05.04.2012 01:17, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Martin (KDE) wrote:
>
>> I once tried kolab server but was never satisfied with the approach they
>> used. That's why I use sogo since about two years.
>
> Thanks very much for your full and clear explanation.
>
> Unfortunately (for me) there doesn't seem to be an RPM for kolab or sogo
> under CentOS (which I run on my small home servers).

There is a sogo RPM repository for CentOS (maintained by sogo
developers). I use it myself. Please look at www.sogo.nu in the download
section. And they have a complete documentation how to setup the server.
If there are questions remaining the sogo community is very helpful
(share sogo mailinglist).

> I'm rather careful with software on my servers,
> perhaps because I lack the knowledge to deal with problems that might arise
> from use of "non-standard" applications.

I am careful with my server as well. There are some additional
rpositories I use (one is sogo).

> I'm quite brave on laptops but not on servers...
>
> But I don't really see why Kontact could not use MySQL or openLDAP
> to store data on a server?
> It seems (to me) to be unnecessary to introduce anything new.

Yes, that is something I don't understand. LDAP is a very mature
protocol and can handle almost every data but its support is lacking.
IMHO this is because there are too many users out there not knowing what
LDAP is (besides it is too difficult to set up in its current linux
incarnations).

The same is true for cluttering home directories with unnecessary stuff
(like caches, thumbnails ...). I gave up using NFS shares for users home
drive.

> Sadly, it seems that for someone like me Google Contacts
> is the simplest solution, even though I am not a fan of the cloud,
> especially since KAddressBook now seems able to import contacts from Google.

Google is the easiest way. But I don't like the central google way.
Therefore I developed my own PIM server and it is working great. And my
knowledge about all this stuff is better than before.

Martin