Updating Amarok's database

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 04:20:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 18:30 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 11:53 -0400, Klaatu wrote:
> > Have you tried  Settings > Configure Amarok > Collection
> > Check "watch folders for changes"
> > and
> > "Scan folders recursively"
>
> [Kindly don't top-post. See the list Guidelines]
>
> Yes, I have both those already checked, to no avail.
>
> I restarted Amarok. Nothing.
>
> I rebooted my system. Nothing.
>
> I went to the Tools menu and did a Full Rescan. Nothing.
>
> Something about this is clearly broken. It may be my setup, but there
> are simply no clues. I could of course zero out my config and start
> afresh, and I guess I'll have to try try that as a last resort, but at
> present my Amarok as installed does not do what it says on the tin.
>
> It might be time to switch to Rhythmbox. After all, I just want a basic
> music player that can also send stuff to my phone. I suspect that's what
> 90% of people also want.

Just for kicks I tried zeroing out my Amarok config, i.e. I
renamed .kde/share/apps/amarok and restarted the app. I then set up the
folders to be scanned, namely a single tree below my Music folder.

The console then filled with hundreds of warnings about kmimetype not
understanding certain file types. The listed files appeared to be every
single file in my account, not just the Music folder (presumably the
latter didn't give errors but frankly I couldn't be bothered checking).

Is there some other local config info that I failed to reset? If not,
I'll just report this to Bugzilla and move on.

poc