lightdm in kde-testing

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Apr 26 12:52:43 UTC 2012

Thanks to the efforts of several folks (namely Christoph Wickert), we're
getting close to bringing lightdm to fedora.

Per http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LightDM, LightDM is a
cross-desktop display manager.  In short, it's an alternative to gdm or
kdm for example.

Want to try it out?  If you're comfortable with switching login managers
and being able to back out and fix things if things go awry... :) ...
we've some experimental builds in kde-testing repos (f16/f17):

yum --enablerepo=kde-testing install lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter

and edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop to include:
DISPLAYMANAGER=/usr/sbin/lightdm

(and reboot)

and later if you're daring,
yum --enablerepo=kde-testing install lightdm-kde
and edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to include:
greeter-session=lightdm-kde-greeter

We're currently gathering feedback and a bit more testing before
submitting this for formal review to be included in fedora.

To forestall the inevitable question:  Do we have plans to replace kdm?
  No, not right now, but depending on how well lightdm works, maybe
sometime in the not-too-distant future (f18/f19+).

-- rex