Nightmare in PIM-land

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:55:33 UTC 2012

On 29/04/12 23:08, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>> I sent back into Kontact today and tried to edit a group. This
>> time it didn't crash (not sure if there has been updates since I
>> last tried).  It said 3 contacts didn't exist any more, but I
>> could add a new one.  I checked some time later and it was still
>> there.
>>
>> Did you say you are on 4.7.x?  I'd certainly update if that is
>> so. Not all is solved, but much is improved.
>
> I'm actually running kdepim-4.8.2-1.fc16.i686 I'm just testing
> kontact again.
>
> No, sadly, when I add a contact to a group it remains there for
> just 6 seconds.
>
> I added the contact by double-clicking on the group. This brings up
> a window with a blue strip near the top, with Name and EMail over
> it, If I click on this strip under Name a white space opens. I type
> in the name of one of the contacts in the address book, and the
> contact's email is filled in automatically. I click on OK at the
> bottom of the window, and the name and address appear in the group
> window to the right. This entry disappears after 6 seconds, as I
> said.
>
> I see there is a change to the file .kde/share/apps/kabs/distlists
> - a number is added after the group in question. But this number is
> not the UID of the contact.
>
> I should say I find the changes to Kontact/KAddressBook - in
> particular the facility to add different kinds of contact lists,
> Google Contacts, LDAP Contacts and local contacts - very exciting,
> suggesting that kdepim is moving towards an ideal solution.
>
> The fact remains that this particular part of the solution does
> not work for me at the moment.

The trouble is that we are never sure whether the problem we face is KDE
version specific, distro specific, or related to some left-over from
previous versions.  It makes it very hard to troubleshoot.  Your
comment about distlists intrigued me, so I checked, but those lists
refer to ones I set up long ago, related to std.vcf.  Out of curiosity
I opened that file, the old list exists, but it contains only messages
that the contacts no longer exist.

I feel that contact are lost if they are no longer in the cache, which
is a disaster for me.

Anne