Weird Konsole font issue

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 01:13:22 UTC 2012

Good Evening everyone,
I have a strange issue with my Monospace font, that only seems to show
up in Konsole. I first discovered this over the weekend (Sunday I
believe), and I thought I had it fixed.
When I first saw the issue, I even went so far as to create a Virtual
machine, apply all the updates, add the KDE-Unstable repo, and apply
the Infinality font patches I run to recreate my setup exactly, and
took a screenshot [1] showing that in the VM the fonts looked fine,
but on my workstation they looked 'different'.

After doing that, at some point I rebooted my desktop, and I thought
initially that it was fixed, but I think I had opened and closed a
Konsole session before noticing, because now I see that the first time
I open Konsole, my fonts are still showing differently [2], but if I
close Konsole and open it right back, the issue goes away [3]. If I
open multiple Konsole windows, I have to close them all and reopen
before the fonts will look normal. It even seems the gui fonts
displaying on the Menu bar are slight different as well.

This is on my home PC. My work PC, also with Fedora 17, KDE Unstable
enabled and the Infinality patches enabled doesn't have this
behavior...and neither does my laptop, only this one machine.

FWIW, I also go into System Settings -> Application Appearance ->
Fonts and choose 'Defaults' on my machines to reset fonts sizes from
the Fedora defaults to the KDE defaults since I tend to prefer smaller
fonts in general, and the KDE defaults are set to slightly smaller
font sizes.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions. It's not a 'big' deal since
opening and closing Konsole 'fixes' it, it's more of an annoyance.

[1]: http://jaysonr.fedorapeople.org/pictures/Misc_KDE/fonts_kde.png
[2]: http://jaysonr.fedorapeople.org/pictures/Misc_KDE/fonts_kde1.png
[3]: http://jaysonr.fedorapeople.org/pictures/Misc_KDE/fonts_kde2.png

--