Weird Konsole font issue

Lukas Middendorf lukas+fedora at tuxforce.de
Fri Aug 3 13:32:55 UTC 2012

On Thursday 02 August 2012 21:13:22 Jayson Rowe wrote:
> I have a strange issue with my Monospace font, that only seems to show
> up in Konsole. I first discovered this over the weekend (Sunday I
> believe), and I thought I had it fixed.
> When I first saw the issue, I even went so far as to create a Virtual
> machine, apply all the updates, add the KDE-Unstable repo, and apply
> the Infinality font patches I run to recreate my setup exactly, and
> took a screenshot [1] showing that in the VM the fonts looked fine,
> but on my workstation they looked 'different'.
>
> After doing that, at some point I rebooted my desktop, and I thought
> initially that it was fixed, but I think I had opened and closed a
> Konsole session before noticing, because now I see that the first time
> I open Konsole, my fonts are still showing differently [2], but if I
> close Konsole and open it right back, the issue goes away [3]. If I
> open multiple Konsole windows, I have to close them all and reopen
> before the fonts will look normal. It even seems the gui fonts
> displaying on the Menu bar are slight different as well.
>
> This is on my home PC. My work PC, also with Fedora 17, KDE Unstable
> enabled and the Infinality patches enabled doesn't have this
> behavior...and neither does my laptop, only this one machine.

Does the dpi of the display that X reports differ between the machines? The
last time I have seen strange font sizes it was because the reported dpi of
the display differed from the default 96x96. You can check with
xdpyinfo | grep -B1 dot

That would not explain why it differs between restarts of Konsole, but is the
first thing you should check.