How to install both KDE & GNOME with Fedora 18

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Dec 19 23:51:32 UTC 2012

Sonic wrote:
>    I've always used Fedora DVDs (as opposed to the live CDs) for
> installation as I could install both KDE & GNOME and a slew of other
> packages without connecting to the internet. I tried F18 beta DVD and
> found that I could select either KDE or GNOME and not both during
> installation.
>
> Is this OK from a KDE perspective?

As the KDE SIG, we don't feel strongly about it. We have always recommended
installing from the KDE live image (which gets you a KDE-only system too),
and IMHO that should still be the recommendation.

Personally, I think this way of presenting things is quite silly, but still,
it is an improvement over previous UIs where you had no viable desktop
selection at all. (You were able to check the desktops' groups, but all the
application groups were defaulting to GNOME apps and GNOME was also checked
by default.)

        Kevin Kofler