Suspicion regarding the kmail "Retrieving Folder Contents - Please wait ..." problem

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 16:26:08 UTC 2012

I have a suspicion regarding the kmail "Retrieving Folder Contents - Please
wait ..." problem.

I started getting this problem recently.
It was happening on a folder where imap is used with gmail.com.

I changed one of the imap parameters, on gmail.com,
and for the moment, the problem disappeared.

I went to the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" Setting in gmail.com,
found the "When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:" setting,
and changed the setting
from "Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server. (default)"
to "Auto-Expunge off - Wait for the client to update the server."

If other people are also having problems with kmail and use imap with
gmail.com, could they also check this setting and change it.

I would like to know if changing this setting made my problem go away,
or if my problem went away for some other reason.

I am using kdepim-4.4.11.1-5.fc15.x86_64.

If this change affects the problem, perhaps kmail is locally caching
information from the gmail.com server, and the information is getting out of
sync, and kmail is trying to use stale information.