Fedora 16 KDE spin questions

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 01:46:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Steve Greene <wildernessrogue at gmail.com> wrote:
> Question 4): When I run Disk Utility, it tells me: "DISK HAS MANY BAD
> SECTORS Backup all data and replace the disk". The only two IDs that
> return less than expected when I run the Self-test are: ID 197 Current
> Pending Sector Count with a warning that failure is a sign of old age,
> and it shows a value of -1 sectors, along with ID 190 Airflow
> Temperature, with a warning of "failed in the past" and the old-age
> statement again. The value for this one is37 degrees centigrade/99
> degrees fahrenheit. How critical is this? Will my computer last for a
> while still, or am I on thin ice? I also was informed of these two
> issues when the .iso install disk ran to install this latest Fedora
> version. By the way, I am also experiencing an unusual number of
> random sytem glitches, and wonder if these could be caused by this
> issue (I did not have these problems with Fedora 12).

Please open Konsole and run the following command:
su -c 'smartctl -A /dev/sda'

That will provide the raw data the Disk Utility uses to make that
determination, which we can use to see if it's assessment is correct.

If it is correct, it could explain your problems with LibreOffice and
general glitchiness.  Installing a new operating system involves
writing a lot of data to disk, and that could aggravate conditions
that were previously unknown because you hadn't written that much data
to it in quite some time.

-T.C.