Fedora 16 KDE spin questions

Steve Greene wildernessrogue at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 01:31:30 UTC 2012

Hello Kevin,

Regarding the LibreOffice install, I just instructed yum to install
libreoffice, with no -kde after it. That said, I was able to overcome
the protracted time load by simply converting the two books to ODF
format instead of .doc format. In ODF, the native libreoffice format,
the book that was taking 5 minutes to load now takes only 12 seconds!
Apparently, it takes time for the program to read a .doc format. But
beyond that, the laptop was suffering some serious issues today while
working on some large files in GIMP, so I am becoming more convinced
than ever that I have a failing hard drive. I suspect that the hard
drive issue may also be at play with Libre Office, but am not sure. I
may just install a new solid state drive in the laptop, either that or
get a new and more powerful laptop instead (perhaps a Sony or Asus).
All this while trying to get the new book finished and off to the
publisher! Ahh, the joys of a full life! Take care. - Steve