problems adding new printer

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:06:10 UTC 2012

I was so happy to see, maybe 1 year back, that fedora/kde had finally progressed
to the point that when I tried to add my home printer it was autodetected, and I
didn't have to specify the make, model, etc.

Not any more.  Seems pretty broken now.

I seem to have 3 ways to try to add a printer.  I can use system settings (kde).
This, unlike the other ways, actually works.  But it doesn't detect my printer,
and I do need to select make/model etc.

The other two ways I find by opening application launcher and search for 'print'
which shows 2 items, 1 called 'printer configuration' and 1 called 'printing'.
Neither of them work at all.  The first gives me 'cups-authorization-cancelled'
when I try to add a new printer, without having ever asked for any
authorization.  (This seems to be just another way to get to the kde printer
config dialog, but a broken one).  The other seems like a gnome version.  IIRC
this one also fails but later in the process.