f16/kde48 repo

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:38:19 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 22:08, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> With kde-4.8.0 to be officially released any minute/day now, and to
> forestall the deluge of questions like
> * How do I get kde-4.8.x for f16
> * When will kde-4.8.x be released for f16
>
> and help get things tested, I threw together a (hopefully temporary)
> backports repo,
> http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/rdieter/kde48/
>
> similar to what we did with f15/kde47
>
> It contains just the minimal builds needed to get up and running with
> kde-4.8.0 (as opposed to kde-unstable repo that has other stuff like
> calligra).
>
> Hopefully, this will lower the bar and make it easier to use, and get more
> folks using and testing it.  Oh, and to answer question 2 above, well just
> have to wait and see how testing goes.  Please do give feedback.

Thanks for the great work. Had kde 4.8 installed and running since
just before this announcement (updated from 4.7.9x) and all is working
great with no problems to report so far.

We do however seem to be missing a couple of bits i was hoping to try out:
 * ksecretsservice (an alternative and eventual successor to kwallet
that is desktop agnostic). I haven't looked properly at this but i am
guessing it requires a new package.
 * kde-telepathy 0.3 was released together with kde 4.8. 0.1 as
currently packaged isn't a substitute for kopete for me but 0.3 is
sounding much better. Unfortunately they seem to have done a bit of
refactoring and renaming upstream so it might be more complicated than
a simple bump of each component.

If any help is required with regards to packaging and/or reviewing any
of the above i have some quiet time next week...

Thanks again to all involved for bringing fast efficient updates.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...