plasma desktop eats CPU in F16

Zebee Johnstone zebeej at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 01:11:08 UTC 2012

I am running Fedora 16 which was created from an F15 install via preupgrade.

Note though that the homedir is in a separate filesystem and hasn't
been re-created for some time, so there might be cruft in it.

The desktop is very slow in refreshes.  If I change virtual desk pages
then the previous page still shows for some time and the system
monitor widget shows CPU is high.

Top confirms the CPU hog is plasma_desktop, and strace shows
stat("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=2183, ...}) = 0

I saw a note via google to remove
$HOME/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop* and doing that did solve the
problem but the problem is back.

Deleting those means configuring my desktop again, I'd rather avoid
that if I can!

Zebee