KMail/IMAP cannot add top-level folder

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Fri Jun 15 16:11:04 UTC 2012

On Friday 15 June 2012 15:48:06 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> When I click on a top-level account in KMail on an IMAP client,
> the File->New->Add Folder option is greyed out,
> although it is available to create a sub-folder of an existing folder.
>
> I know I can create a new folder by creating a subdirectory .<whatever>
> in ~/Maildir on the IMAP server; but is this really the only way?
>
> Also: is there any way of re-ordering the folders in KMail ?
> I created a new folder in the above fashion,
> but it is listed out of alphabetical order.

What IMAP server are you using cyrus-imap or dovecote? If you're using cyrus
as I am then the root folder is the inbox and it works for me.

If its dovecot, I believe that you can't add folders to the inbox, unless
something has changed and there is a way to do that which I am not aware of.
However, the root folder is the very top level of the tree structure, that is,
the alias of email account. If you can't add a folder there, it may be bug in
kmail.

If it is someother external source, then we need more details about how you
have worked in the past. IE have you been able to create folders from what
your root folder is? I wish I could be of better help.

Eli

believed to be clean.