Cannot lock screen

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Thu Jun 28 13:37:37 UTC 2012

For the last few Fedora releases I have not been able to lock my screen except using the command line.  The command line that I use is:

/usr/libexec/kde4/kscreenlocker --forcelock --daemon

I can also get the screen to lock on timeout by causing the above script to run via the power management systems settings dialog.  Without adding the script definition the screen only goes dark.  Checking the "Lock screen on resume" has no effect.

Selecting Lock from the menu or clicking on the lock widget has no effect.  When I first installed Fedora 17 those methods did not work until after the first full update, then stopped on a subsequent full update.

I even installed Fedora 17 fresh, instead of updating as I did for two previous releases, so as to start with a fresh ~/.kde directory.

How can I troubleshoot this?  Where do I find how the Lock menu item is programmed and how do I find out what the lock widget is supposed to do.

Emmett