KDE backlight control - backlighthelper not running?

Maciek Borzecki maciek.borzecki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:18:18 UTC 2012

Problem solved, or at least I found a working workaround. Switching to
acpi_backlight=vendor makes things better. I can control brigthness by
using Fn keys, and the OSD appears when doing so.

Anyway the contents of backlight (avter using acpi_backlight=vendor)
$ ls -l /sys/class/backlight
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 0 Mar  5 21:00 thinkpad_screen ->
../../devices/virtual/backlight/thinkpad_screen

Before the change, standard ACPI interface was there
(acpi_backlight=native, the default I guess), and it worked doing echo
[0-9] > brigthness.

Judging by kded/radeon code, it seems that powerdevil will use xrandr
brightness control when available (i.e. availability is reported by
querying Backlight property). Although setting 'Backlight' is not
supported by open source radeon driver, the check if the interface
exists succeeds. That's why it ended up trying to use xranrd which
does not work. The question is why the check even succeeded.

Funny though, xfce/gnome do not seem to ever use xrandr interface, and
always use /sys.

--
Maciek Borzecki