yumbackend.py running every few minutes...?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Mar 13 23:12:51 UTC 2012

On 03/14/2012 06:44 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> gpk-prefs has no effect whatsoever under KDE Plasma sessions, where Apper is
> used, not gnome-packagekit.

While that is probably true, I found this to be interesting....

Yesterday I found yumbackend.py running at 100% every once in a while as
described.  I did a ps and found the parent process for it to be
/usr/libexec/packagekitd.

I did run gpk-prefs and didn't think it would have any effect since it
was already set to 1-hour.  In doing so, I was reminded about a
complaint in a different thread about security updates being applied
automatically.  While that isn't happening, I unchecked that option in
the event I may sometime run GNOME.

Anyway, I just checked now and yumbackend.py is no longer popping up
from time to time.  However, I also ran an update and rebooted due the
kernel being updated in that batch.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis