Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:02:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 07:23 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 03/26/2012 08:11 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up qbittorrent to handle magnet: links. I've searched
> > high and low in KDE Settings to no avail. Note that these links don't
> > usually have a distinguishing file extension. Instead they're flagged as
> > magnet:... in the URL.
>
> > Why is this stuff so hard?
>
> Any app that can support magnet links needs to have
> x-scheme-handler/magnet listed among supported MimeTypes in their
> .desktop file, e.g.:
>
> MimeTypes=...;x-scheme-handler/magnet;

/usr/share/applications/qBittorrent.desktop already has the line:

	MimeType=application/x-bittorrent;x-scheme-handler/magnet;

I copied it to /home/poc/.config/autostart/qBittorrent.desktop (the
only .desktop file I have for QBT), restarted QBT and no change, logged
out and in, no change. Had a brainwave and looked for magnet in
Ktorrent .desktop files. No such line exists in any of them.

Clicking on a magnet link still starts Ktorrent. To be exact, it first
starts a pop-up window labelled "Examining", and immediately after I get
a Ktorrent error dialogue complaining about not having access to a port
(because QBT is sitting on it of course). I don't know if "Examining" is
part of Ktorrent or not since it gives no other indication.

> that's it.  not too hard was it? :)

I'm going to go with 'yes, it is'.

poc