KNode problem with Eternal-September

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Nov 17 13:21:40 UTC 2012

I have a curious problem with KNode when accessing - or trying to access -
Eternal-September.
I have two very similar laptops (Thinkpad T60 and T61),
both running Fedora-17/KDE .

On one of them, when I try to get new articles from Eternal-September
I am asked to enter the password, and this is never accepted -
I am simply asked to enter it again and again.

On the other laptop, I have no problem -
on pressing B, all the new articles are listed.

As far as I can see, the setup on both laptops is identical.
The username and password are given in
KNode=>Settings=>Configure KNode=>Accounts
with the same server news.eternal-september.org
and the same port 119.
And I also have the password saved in the wallet on both machines.

If anyone can suggest why this happens I would be very grateful.

I might say that
	telnet news.eternal-september.org 119
gets me through to the server.
Unfortunately I am not sure what dialog should follow.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net