Akonadi fails to start: Unable to add column 'version' to table 'SchemaVersionTable'

Garry Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 14:20:52 UTC 2012

I recently updated from updates-testing to get:

    akonadi-1.8.0-1.fc17.x86_64
    kdepimlibs-4.9.1-3.fc17.x86_64
    kdepimlibs-akonadi-4.9.1-3.fc17.x86_64
    kdepim-libs-4.9.1-1.fc17.x86_64
    kdepim-4.9.1-1.fc17.x86_64
    kdepim-runtime-libs-4.9.1-1.fc17.x86_64
    kdepim-runtime-4.9.1-1.fc17.x86_64

and others.

This didn't go as expected.

The first problem was that yum wanted to remove mysql for
dependencies.  I added --setopt=clean_requirements_on_remove=0 to fix
that.  This was the first hint that I did something wrong.  :-(

Next, after restarting the desktop, I got this:

    Test 6:  ERROR
    --------

    MySQL server default configuration not found.
    Details: The default configuration for the MySQL server was not
found or was not readable. Check your Akonadi installation is complete
and you have all required access rights.

Another hint.

I found a copy of the missing file in

    /usr/share/kde4/apps/digikam/database/mysql-global.conf

and copied it to /etc/akonadi .

Now I'm stuck on this error:

    "Unable to add column 'version' to table 'SchemaVersionTable'.
    Query error: 'Table 'akonadi.SchemaVersionTable' doesn't exist
QMYSQL: Unable to execute query'"
    Unable to initialize database.

What am I doing wrong?

(Incidentally, sqlite is hopeless.  I tried that after the first error
and akonadi consumes all of the CPU resource without any hint that it
will subside.)

--
Garry Williams