qt-4.8/kde-4.10 (hopefully) for rhel6 coming soon

alf at mykolab.com alf at mykolab.com
Tue Apr 2 07:37:01 UTC 2013

Back in office, trying to set-up the kde repos. Brings me to my next
wish :) An rpm for setting up the kde repos similar to what EPEL
provides would be great. It is quite rare to have root priviliges on
these machines, but having sudo rights to yum is easier to achieve.
Also, I believe it is a cleaner approach to use an rpm rather than
manually fiddling with config files (less error prone, more
maintainable).

Feeding yum a custom yum.conf I was able to test, but is seems somehow
the URL is not resolved correctly. This is what I got:

$ sudo yum -c /tmp/yum.conf check-update
Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, security,
subscription-manager
Updating certificate-based repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/kde-redhat/redhat/6Workstation/x86_64/stable/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404"
Trying other mirror.
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/redhat/6Workstation/x86_64/stable/repodata/repomd.xml:
http://kdeforge.unl.edu/apt/kde-redhat/redhat/6Workstation/x86_64/stable/repodata/repomd.xml:
http://apt.de.kde-redhat.org/kde-redhat/redhat/6Workstation/x86_64/stable/repodata/repomd.xml:
http://kdeforge2.unl.edu/kde-redhat/redhat/6Workstation/x86_64/stable/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404"
Trying other mirror.

epel-release.noarch

My Red Hat release:
$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.3 (Santiago)

If I go to the first mirror, the 6Workstation entry is indeed
non-existent:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/kde-redhat/redhat/

Now I replaced the mirrorlist lines in yum.conf, so that the three
respective lines read:
baseurl=http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/kde-redhat/redhat/6.3/x86_64/stable/
baseurl=http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/kde-redhat/redhat/6.3/x86_64/testing/
baseurl=http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/kde-redhat/redhat/6.3/x86_64/unstable/

Then check-update went through but a yum search for kdevelop only gave
kscope, and Digikam is still at version 1.2. Take into account that yum
is new to me, there may be some trivial command I am unaware of.

Cheers,
Alf