kde on sl6 - can't find it

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Apr 8 12:17:12 UTC 2013

On 08/04/13 05:26, Eli Wapniarski wrote:

> Try replacing /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc with kdmrc.rpmnew.
>
> Eli

Thank you for that suggestion.  Unfortunately /etc/kde/kdm contains only
files dated 2010 and earlier, and no .rpmnew.

I did 'yum reinstall kdm', but nothing seems to have changed.

As suggested in the RHEL6 installation guide I did

yum groupinstall "X Window System"  "KDE Desktop"

A few new packages were installed for the X group and all appears to be
up-to-date - mostly from the unstable repo.  yum grouplist  seems to
have a problem in identifying these groups as installed;  I think it
just doesn't like names that include spaces.

Xorg.0.log has many AUDIT lines and references to MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE, with
lots of clients being connected and then rapidly disconnected.
I found a suggestion that the screen resolution sometimes isn't
correctly recognised, but Xorg.0.log looks as if it's getting that right.

John P