Invisible .pdf files

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Apr 11 12:45:05 UTC 2013

Am 11.04.2013 14:41, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> I've recently downloaded two files from different sites,
> using Firefox under Fedora-18/KDE .
> (One was a Ubuntu tutorial from Lockergnome.)
> In each case the file is immediately opened in acroread
> (ie I don't start acroread).
> In one case the name given in acroread was 13656_0_ .
> I found this file is in /var/tmp/kdecache-tim/krun ,
> though it is not shown by locate even after updatedb ,
> and copied it to a more permanent position.
>
> But what puzzles me is: is this a deliberate feature
> to semi-hide files for some reason?
> Or has there been a recent change in Firefox or Acroread?
> Or have I misunderstood in some way?

it is up to you to configure how each mimetype is
handeled in Firefox and if it is set to "open with
application XYZ" it is intentional to only have a
temporary file because you did not request a download

that updatedb does not find files in /var/tmp and /tmp
is also intentional and controlled by /etc/updatedb.conf