Criterion revision proposal: KDE default applications

Syam Krishnan syamcr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 02:36:35 UTC 2013

On 12/13/2013 10:58 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at gmail.com) said:
>> The DVD is releng/fesco responsibility, they dictate and decide
>> what's on it and what not and how it's delivered not the
>> sub-community's.
> Really?
>
> The KDE SIG has full access to change what gets installed when you
> install from the DVD. If you're saying it's releng and FESCo's
> responsibility to fix that, then as a releng and FESCo member, I'll fix it...

Hi..

The DVD is extremely important for people who don't have cheap and fast
internet available to download RPMs post installation. Without such a
connection, the live CDs have limited utility.

The DVD, on the other hand brings more applications and development
tools. I have never understood why the KDE SIG sees it as a second-class
citizen. I guess it might require more work for maintaining it. But
aren't all Fedora KDE packages maintained by the SIG? Then why shouldn't
things work if they are installed off a DVD (as opposed to from CD +
internet)?

In my opinion, the new Fedora installer allowing only one DE to be
selected while installing from DVD is itself a defect since there's no
easy way to install packages off the DVD post installation. But again,
KDE SIG said DVD is not their chosen way of installation and this wasn't
a problem.

Anyway, I hope you guys make the decision that's best for KDE on Fedora.
That said, the day KDE is out of Fedora DVD, I'll switch to some other
distro.

Thanks and regards,

Syam