KDE 4.10, oxygen-gtk2 and icon themes

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 9 16:17:04 UTC 2013

Maciek Borzecki wrote:
> It seems that the problems arise only for themes that use index.theme
> to indicate respective size icons (there are no <size>x<size>
> directories in top dir).

The icon-theme-spec has this to say:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/latest/ar01s03.html
(Directory Layout)
| In the theme directory are also a set of subdirectories containing image
| files. Each directory contains icons designed for a certain nominal icon
| size, as described by the index.theme file. The subdirectories are allowed
| to be several levels deep, e.g. the subdirectory "48x48/apps" in the theme
| "hicolor" would end up at $basedir/hicolor/48x48/apps.

It looks like the KFaenza theme authors took the "48x48/apps" only as a non-
binding example, whereas GTK+ 2 expects exactly this layout. Unfortunately,
the spec is not clear on that. I guess it'd be easiest to just fix the
affected themes to use the de-facto standard layout, it'd also be better for
consistency. Historically, all the themes have used that layout.

        Kevin Kofler