Samsung Galaxy GT-S5830L cell phone not showing in KDE Device Notifier

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 16:11:36 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 12:12 +0000, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
> On 15/02/13 08:49 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > On 02/15/2013 06:40 AM, Mario Storti wrote:
> >> KDE Device Notifier stopped showing my cell phone after upgrade to
> >> Fedora 17/18. (I don't know exactly if it was for F17 or for F18,
> >> since I did the upgrade to F17 and immediately after I did the upgrade
> >> to F18.)
> >>
> >> I did some research and found many posts related to MTP, suggesting to
> >> install mtpfs, jmtpfs. I followed the recipes with no success.
> >
> > Try installing kio_mtp ?
>
> kio-mtp sort of works with Nexus 4 but it crashes more often than actually manages to complete any
> copying task. Sometimes, just sometimes, it succeeds. I got the impression that maybe it's not
> maintained or really, really buggy. So I used the method described on the web [1] and mount the
> phone using simple-mtpfs. Not clicky nor automatic but works reliably.

I do pretty much that (the stock mtpfs is very unreliable and doesn't
seem to be maintained. Perhaps kio_mtp is using it underneath?). What I
don't do is add any udev-rules stuff. It doesn't seem to be necessary as
far as I can see. IOW I just run:

simple-mtpfs <my-nexus-directory-point> &

and later

fusermount -u <my-nexus-directory-point>

and it Just Works (tm). This is on F18 but F17 was the same.

poc