Samsung Galaxy GT-S5830L cell phone not showing in KDE Device Notifier

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 17:14:27 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 13:45 -0300, Mario Storti wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> kio-mtp sort of works with Nexus 4 but it crashes more often than actually manages to complete any
> >> copying task. Sometimes, just sometimes, it succeeds. I got the impression that maybe it's not
> >> maintained or really, really buggy. So I used the method described on the web [1] and mount the
> >> phone using simple-mtpfs. Not clicky nor automatic but works reliably.
> >
> > I do pretty much that (the stock mtpfs is very unreliable and doesn't
> > seem to be maintained. Perhaps kio_mtp is using it underneath?). What I
> > don't do is add any udev-rules stuff. It doesn't seem to be necessary as
> > far as I can see. IOW I just run:
> >
> > simple-mtpfs <my-nexus-directory-point> &
> >
> > and later
> >
> > fusermount -u <my-nexus-directory-point>
> >
> > and it Just Works (tm). This is on F18 but F17 was the same.
> >
> > poc
>
> Thanks guys for your tips. I don't think this will help me because as
> I described before, my problem seems to be KDE specific. The device is
> correctly detected in Gnome and even in Gimp (running on KDE!). So I'm
> think that it is rather a bug in the KDE Device Notifier or either a
> misconfiguration in my system.

I should have mentioned that I'm also using KDE. On device insertion, I
see an entry in the device notifier (labelled "Portable Media Player")
with several possible actions including downloading photos with Gwenview
or Digikam, and opening with the File Manager. After installing kio_mtp
I have an additional action for the File Manager. Unfortunately the
pop-up doesn't distinguish between the two FM entries but testing shows
that one opens with the camera: protocol and the other with mtp:.
Presumably I could fix the labelling by editing the notifier settings,
but as I said I don't use this as simple-mtpfs works fine.

You might try "simple-mtpfs -l" to see if it detects your phone. Also,
unlock the phone before inserting it (this seems to matter more or less
randomly as far as I can tell).

poc