Firewalld applet in KDE

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jan 24 03:28:11 UTC 2013

> On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 10:42 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> [Please don't top-post on this list]
>>>
>>> I see the dialogue, but it's not nearly flexible enough. For example,
>>> there's no obvious way of allowing access to a given port (service)
>>> which is one of the most basic requirements of firewall configuration.
>>>
>> I could be wrong....  But what I think Ryan was trying to convey was that for each connection (a.k.a. Interface) you could assign a firewalld zone and then configure that zone as you wish for all the services you want to allow.
>>
>> Yes, you have to use 2 Tools.  One being "firewall-config"
> But as far as I can see you can do all that from firewall-config itself,
> and you can't do it all from the KDE NM applet, so my question remains.
> I'm not saying this is a big problem, just that it reflects an asymmetry
> between Gnome and KDE, not for the first time.

To me, the current condition in KDE is logical.

The firewall-config tool should have the ability to change the rules of all the zones as well as assign a zone to an interface.

The Network-Manager need only have the ability to change the zone for an interface.

I don't use GNOME, so I don't know if its NM allows you to change firewall rules/policy.  I think you're saying it does.