kde-4.10.x for f17 coming to kde-unstable: feedback needed

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 10:05:53 UTC 2013

On Saturday 02 March 2013 16:20:26 Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 02/20/2013 11:18 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Just finished up an initial batch of kde-4.10 builds for fedora 17
> > (finally).  I plan on signing and pushing these to kde-unstable repo
> > shortly.
> >
> > Same warning for these as for the prior f18 builds.  These are for early
> > adopters and testers only.  In short, if you don't know how to manually
> > downgrade things in case of trouble, I'd recommend you not touch
> > this...yet.
> >
> > Let us know how it goes and what breaks. :)
>
> so, the kde-sig is seriously considering pushing kde-4.10.x updates
> officially for f17 too, see our last meeting log,
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2013-02-26/fedora-meeting.20
> 13-02-26-15.06.log.html
>
> But, we're still lacking enough concrete testing and feedback to make an
> informed decision.  So, please let us know if you're using this, and how
> it is all working for you, good or bad.

Hi,

I'm using kde 4.10.0 for a while now on both f17 and rawhide - skipped f18
because of crashing openGL driver - and IMHO KDE is back on a level one would
expect from a 10th series. It works great again! No log in delays - which was
clearly not pulseaudio's fault - no kmail off lines, or nepomuk crashes. Yes,
I've seen no nepomuk crashes since I use 4.10.0 :-)

Just two points of attention wrt f17:

1. kde-print-manager-4.10.0-1.fc17.x86_64 didn't replace kde-printer-applet
and system-config-printer-kde. I had to do this manually.
2. kdenetwork-* packages are still version 4.9.5.

So I would recommend: Push kde 4.10 as soon as possible.

Thanks for the wonderful work!

Martin Kho

BTW: I upgraded as follows:
1. downloaded kde.repo -> copied it to /etc/yum.repos.d
2. yum clean-all
3. yum update