windows envy

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 12:18:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm rarely jealous of windows users.  When I make a presentation using my wide-
> screen laptop, using a crappy projector that is limited to 1280x1024, the best I
> can figure is to put the projector 'right of' and the laptop on the left,
> leaving the laptop at it's native res and the projector at 1280x1024.  Works,
> but awkward - for one thing can't see the presentation on the laptop.
>
> I noticed my colleague (windows 7?) did a sort of clone, where the projector got
> his 1280x1024, while the laptop kept the native res, but the image was narrowed.
> Hey, that's just what I need.  I guess the world of X, kde, nvidia, etc doesn't
> do this?

On my 7-y/o laptop (running XFCE), you simply select "clone" in the
display configuration.
On my brand new KDE equipped laptop (which uses the nVidia binary
drivers), I can simply select clone in the nvidia-settings.

I must admit I've yet to test it on a non-nvidia based KDE laptop.

BTW, At least on my colleague's Windows 7 and 8 machine, Windows
lowers the laptop resolution down to the crappy projector's resolution
and there's nothing I can do about it.
On the other hand, using nVidia settings I can simply attach the
project view to the top left corner of the my laptop display without
lowering the resolution.

- Gilboa