KDE 4.11.00 intermittently forgets various plasmoids & desktop settings

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Nov 10 01:11:34 UTC 2013

Am 05.09.2013 10:10, schrieb Reindl Harald:
> Am 05.09.2013 01:27, schrieb Colin J Thomson:
>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> On Mon 2 September 2013 04:11:05 Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>>> Hello, Everyone
>>> Lately after I logout of KDE and then log back in, my desktop
>>> background is sometimes changed to something that I did NOT have as my
>>> background, and all of my Plasmoids are gone...
>>
>> Not much help to you but I have not seen this on this Box and cannot reproduce
>> it at the moment, I seem to remember something like this with people using
>> dual monitors but I cannot find the bug # at the moment.
>
> KDE 3.4.10 had exactly the same problem and after
> some updates it is gone at least on my machines
>
> KDE permanently overwrites ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
> by stupidity and adds new settings at the bottom - as long the user
> does not change any setting/position there is no valid reason for a
> single write operation on config files
>
> (useless I/O, more danger in case of power fault and bugs like this one)

and this is *clearly* a timing problem

i had this again repeatly becaue on a TTY i ran defragment a 1.2 TB VMware disk-image
after this finished it was no problem to remove the crap out of plasma-desktop-appletsrc
and replace the activityId with the random one of the useless "[Containments][68]"

every time htis happens the crap at bottom of the config gets "[Containments][68]"
while all my desktop settings are in [Containments][2] and bless god that
[Containments][1] always stays untocuhed because this contains all the quick launchers

[Containments][2]
ActionPluginsSource=Global
activity=Neue Aktivität
activityId=5985c4d0-561f-4986-9d52-8b9f13eed2c5
desktop=-1
formfactor=0
geometry=1926,0,1920,1080
immutability=1