KDE 4.11.00 intermittently forgets plasmoids (2013-10-05)

Steven P. Ulrick meow8282 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 18:02:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 19:54:26 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 05.10.2013 19:27, schrieb Steven Ulrick:
> >> This is on Fedora 19.  KDE version is 4.11.0.  Yes, that's from
> >> kde-unstable.  If you can help me figure out what is wrong, I can
> >> file a bug report.
> >
> > Well, it did it again today.  But this time, the plasmoids, desktop
> > background & other settings were gone AFTER logging in after a
> > reboot...  Rebooting used to be how I got all of that back...
> >
> > But I tried something new.  I logged out, and then logged back in
> > the KDE "Safe Session"  Doing that, my desktop looked just like it
> > is supposed to:
> > http://afolkey2.us/gallery3/index.php/Assorted/KDE4_11_00-Desktop-Screenshot-GOOD
> >
> > Unfortuately, when I log out of the safe session, and back into a
> > regular KDE session, it looks like this again:
> > http://afolkey2.us/gallery3/index.php/Assorted/KDE4_11_00-Desktop-Screenshot-BAD
> >
> > If you need any information that I am not providing, just let me
> > know and I will get that to you
>
> i had the same crap with the first 4.10 releases
>
> it happens in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc which is
> by stupidity rewritten randomly and there is some race-condition
> where after the current settings new ones with defaults are added
> with a higher ID, it's easy to fix and exit the desktop with
> STRG+ALT+BACKSPACE (some smart guy in the past decided that you have
> to enable this shortcut somewhere -> Google)
>
> IMHO it is a *terrible* design mistake rewrite configurations if
> nothing has changed

I checked the contents of
"~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc" and it appears to
contain all the plasmoids/settings that I WANT to load when I log into
KDE.  So, how it appears to me is that KDE is not overwriting my
plasma-desktop-appletsrc file, but it is just choosing to not LOAD it.

I wonder if there is a way to log out of KDE, and force KDE to read
"~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc" instead of whatever it
is doing now...