KMail painfully slow... why?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Sep 20 18:10:48 UTC 2013

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> Oh, I look regularly for an alternative MUA.  Ever since the switch to
>> akonadi, I go searching every few months to find a new MUA that'll be
>> able to consume the mail I've got here.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good MUA that'll accept ~6GB of mail, organized
>> across
>> ~3000 nested maildirs?

> I would have thought that pretty much any of the major ones can handle
> that in local files. I use Evolution (mostly on IMAP, but lots of people
> use it with POP), also TBird, Claws, Mutt, ... Have you had negative
> experiences with any of these?

I've tried all of these except Claws, though none of them seriously.
My feeling is that none is as good as KMail at its best,
which hopefully it will reach soon.

But if the bits of KMail that have worked at different times
all worked at the same time it would be great.

At the moment the interface with Akonadi is not entirely satisfactory.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net