Update to 4.11.1 Changed Kmail Settings

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Mon Sep 23 18:57:31 UTC 2013

On Monday 23 of September 2013 19:38:22 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > None of your settings has been changed.  Notifications about new emails
> > are now handled by a dedicated Akonadi agent instead of KMail, so your
> > KMail notification settings is not used anymore. We have decided to enable
> > the agent by default to better advertise this new feature.
> >
> > The advantage of a dedicated notification agent is, that it can show
> > notifications even when KMail is not running, you can configure to be
> > notified only for certain folders (for instance for inbox, but not for
> > mailing list folder) and the notifications are much nicer - when there's
> > only one new email, the notification will show sender, subject and start
> > of the text (and sender photo when available); when there are multiple new
> > emails, the notifications is like "3 new emails in inbox, 1 new email in
> > Fedora-KDE".
>
> So Akonadi now takes it on itself to fetch mail from POP even when KMail is
> not running? So far, it had always been KMail which had triggered the POP
> fetch.

POP has to be triggered by KMail, because the resource itself does not own any
collection that could be synchronized, It merely writes into a collection
owned by a maildir/mbox resource. I think this is not the best way  to do it,
but I guess it's not going to change any time soon.

If you are referring to "notifications without KMail running", that means that
when a new email appears in a collection (like with IMAP autosync or IMAP
IDLE), the notification will be shown, because it's dispatched by the agent
which is running all the time in the background.

Dan