Some questions about rekonq

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 14:16:26 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

Since I've installed F20 (from KDE Live) on my main workstation, I've
been evaluating if the rekonq browser can substitute firefox in my
regular workflow. So far it has lived up to my expectations, but there
are a couple of things that are slightly annoying, so I'd appreciate if
anyone could help me out with it:

(1) Is there an analog of "about:config" and "about:plugins" pages from
firefox?

I'd like to be able to tinker with various detailed settings if
possible, and also to view all recognized plugins (and I used a lot of
stuff in firefox --- flash, icedtea, gecko-mediaplayer, etc.).

(2) When I click on a .pdf link, I'd like rekonq to open the pdf file
in a separate instance of okular, rather than embedded in the browser
tab. Firefox used to ask me if I want to open or save the file, and it
would open it in an independent okular session. Can something like
that be configured somehow in rekonq?

My typical usecase is to open several pdf files at once and distribute
them across several workspaces for easy access (I typically open up to
4 pdf's in portrait, side-by-side across two widescreen monitors ---
it's extremely convenient). ATM I have to save the pdf's to disk, and
then open each of them manually in okular. Aside from being annoying
and involving lots of clicking around, my disk is getting cluttered
with random pdf files I don't really want to keep etc.

(3) What about HTML5 video tag support? Apparently rekonq tries to
download the video file immediately on opening of the website, rather
than waiting for me to click on the play button. This is a disaster
with both user experience and bandwidth usage if the video file is big
enough (say several 700MB movies hosted on the site). If you want a
test example, try one of my home-made websites [1], and watch your
bandwidth!

Moreover, if I kill the tab where such site is being opened (it doesn't
even get to start loading the pictures or the background!) --- the
download of the movie continues, without any apparent way to stop it,
short of killing the whole rekonq. So,

(4) It would be nice to have some flexibility with controlling the
stuff rekonq downloads in the background (like
cancel/pause/stop/delete/restart/refresh buttons etc.). Am I missing
some hidden controls somewhere?

I've searched around the net for all this stuff, but google doesn't want
to be my friend today... :-(

Can anyone help me out? Or should I just revert to firefox and forget
rekonq altogether?

TIA, :-)
Marko

[1] www.dragicavojinovic.com