Does Fedora want to expel KDE from its offerings?

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sun Dec 14 00:40:43 UTC 2014

Giuliano Colla ha scritto:

> Il 13/12/2014 22:03, Patrick O'Callaghan ha scritto:
>> [...]
>> For once I agree with Reindl. I don't even understand what Plasma is and
>> I've been an exclusively KDE user since version 3.
>
> I know that you know, but in a nutshell the Plasma workspace is a bloated tray
> taking all the screen, and populated with buggy applets called Plasmoids. But
> if you select "Folder view" you get a Desktop where you may put what you need
> (folders, files, application launchers, etc.) and get a decent KDE.

But that's still Plasma. Just a different configuration.

> One day KDE developers will realize that a computer Desktop must be like a
> desktop where we keep the documents we're working on and the tools to operate
> on them, and not third party applications. That day KDE will conquer again the
> popularity it's lost with the "evolution" toward Plasma. I know a lot of
> people which dropped KDE because of Plasma, I don't know anyone who switched
> to KDE, fascinated by Plasma.

You just said that you can get a "decent desktop". So it's a matter of
configuration. Again, a different issue. We are talking about naming here and
"old" people who knows the difference can help with spreading the change,
instead of opposing it.

Ciao
--
Luigi