KDE Frameworks 5 repo update

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 09:59:45 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 18 of February 2014 01:48:31 Loïc Yhuel wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I'm trying to use your updated packages, but I have several issues.
> I updated from the older January version (which was crashing in a loop),
> and removed $HOME/.*5, so I assume I'm starting from a clean configuration.

Hi,

thanks for the info. I was glad I finally managed to build the kde5-* packages
yesterday and didn't give it much try yet.

> I first had to modify /opt/kde5/bin/startkde as it wants to launch
> /opt/kde5/libexec/start_kdeinit_wrapper instead of
> /usr/libexec/start_kdeinit_wrapper from kf5-kinit package.

This can be fixed by packaging

> Then, starting the "KDE Plasma Workspace 2" session from kdm, I get the
> splash screen, then the desktop background, then a black screen (with
> mouse).
>
> I noticed plasma wasn't started, and the use of /usr/etc in a few kf5-*
> packages looks strange, so I copied :
>   - /usr/etc/xdg/* to /opt/kde5/etc/xdg
>   - /usr/etc/dbus-1/* to /etc/dbus-1

This is definitely a  packaging issue

> Now plasma-shell starts, but it crashes immediately, and I still have a
> black screen after the splash screen.
> The crash is in ShellManager::updateShell(), qFatal("We have no shell
> handlers installed").
> It looks for /usr/share/plasma/shells/*/contents/loader.qml, but the
> files from kde5-workspace package are in /opt/kde5.
> Since it's CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, I think kf5-* and kde5-* packages
> should have the same prefix.

This will be more tricky :-) I'll talk to upstream and see whether we can come
up with some solution for frameworks and Plasma living in different prefixes.

Regards,
Dan