F20: Some applications show wrong colours for some images when run in a KDE session

Markus Schönhaber fedora-kde at list-post.mks-mail.de
Thu Jan 23 09:04:41 UTC 2014

Hi there,

since I upgraded to Fedora 20, some applications show some graphics with
wrong colours when run in a KDE session.
With "wrong" colours" I mean it looks like blue and green are swapped.
With "some applications" I mean especially Firefox and Thunderbird, but
also Krita.

Example: The waving Panda on the Fedora project's startpage
http://fedoraproject.org/static/images/panda-wave.png
In Firefox, the panda looks as if the panda was drawn in different
shades of green, the same in Krita and Gimp. In Konqueror and Chrome the
image looks blueish, as it should be.

Some things I noticed:

- I'm not entirely sure whether or not the problem only affects PNG
images, but every wrongly coloured image for which I actually checked
which graphics format it is stored in, it turned out to be PNG.
OTOH, not every PNG image is affected. For example, in Thunderbird and
Firefox the Thunderbird logo here
https://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/release/start/
looks OK.
I just noticed that Krita and Gimp still show the image with wrong
colours (the bird is green).

- I see that behaviour when I run a Fedora KDE Spin live image but not
with the Gnome live image.

- The problem only occurs in a KDE session - not in a Gnome, Cinnamon or
XFCE session on the same machine. For example: I log into a KDE session,
start Firefox, navigate to the Fedora start page and see a green panda.
I log out of KDE and into Gnome and Firefox shows a blue Panda on the
start page (in fact, there is no problem with wrong colours in the Gnome
session at all - regardless of application or image).

- Info about my graphics card:
# lshw -class video
  *-display
       product: GF114 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master
cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:61 memory:f4000000-f5ffffff
memory:e0000000-e7ffffff memory:e8000000-ebffffff ioport:e000(size=128)
memory:f6000000-f607ffff

- Whether I use Nouveau or the proprietary Nvidia driver doesn't make
any difference. As I already wrote, I even see that in the KDE live image.

What can I do to pin the culprit of the problem - or maybe even fix it?

--
Regards
  mks