Is it now "safe" to use the kde-redhat unstable repo?

Valerio Mariani valerio.mariani at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:57:55 UTC 2014

Dear All,

  I am Valerio, a recent Fedora convert. Until now I only used Gnome 3
with Fedora, but I would like now to change to KDE, an old love of mine.

I understand that currently the kde-redhat unstable repo provides
packages for kde 4.13.1, as opposed to the 4.12.x packages in the
official repos.

I was concerned, after reading the last emails on this list, about
conflicts for the workspace packages. I understand that in both
repositories the plasma workspace is pinned (as upstream) at version
4.11... However, the packages in kde-redhat are compiled against baloo
(used in 4.13), while the ones in the official repos are compiled
against nepomunk (used in 4.12).
I read, however, that the packages in the official repo have sometimes
higher version number and get installed in place of the the ones in
kde-redhat.

My question is: is it safe at this point to use the kde-redhat unstable
repositories on top of the official ones, or will I end up with a
Frankenstein, half nepomunk, half baloo system?

Thank you for your help!

 Valerio