Advice needed on dealing with kicad, kipi-plugins and kdepim

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jul 23 21:38:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

Richard Hughes wrote:
> which is a list of all the desktop applications and addons that share
> package names in Fedora.

For Kicad: This is not really a core KDE application, it just happens to be
built on the KDE platform. I think kicad.desktop is clearly the main
application there, and the others can be treated like git-dag (i.e., hidden
in favor of kicad), but you'd better contact the maintainer directly. I'm
not familiar with this application nor with what expectations its users have
(i.e., whether they'll search for e.g. gerbview and expect to find it in
Apper or not).

For kipi-plugins: In principle, that's not really an application, it's an
addon package (for applications using libkipi, such as Gwenview or Digikam).
Some addons can also be executed standalone, but that's not its primary
purpose. I'm not sure how to best handle that either. It is probably
possible to split every standalone application and maybe even every single
plugin into separate subpackages, I'm just not sure it's a good idea.

And by the way, relying on proprietary web services such as Google Documents
for Free Software development is a very bad idea. We have an ODF standard
for a reason.

        Kevin Kofler