KDE integration/status for Workstation

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 12:16:26 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Yep, and that probably leads back to the question if we want or don't want to
provide more products than we currently have so far (three). And to be honest,
I like idea having more products but with very high bar (that should apply
for all products) - to avoid a situation of having dozens of products but
still be inclusive.

There was FESCo ticket https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1197 - it's now
closed with resolution: "AGREED: Close for now until the current products are
released at least once and/or anyone proposes a new product" and it's states
that the bar should be relatively high too.

KDE would be a great example of such first product - pretty strong KDE SIG
team, that consists of a few very active community members and Red Hatters,
proved to be able to solve release blockers (and pretty tough release blockers),
with quite a big user base and last few years known as one of the best and
most polished KDE experience (from distribution POV).

Steps
1. establish formal KDE WG from the initial KDE SIG members
2. create formal PRD
3. create Technical Specifications (based on WS Tech Specs or future Base
Tech Specs)
4. show commitment, provide resources for other teams - QA (test cases,
test days, help with release matrix coverage), marketing etc.
5. get approved - does not have to be for F21, start line would be pretty
late but do not block it, if KDE WG would be able to make it
6. profit!

For the idea of having for example Scientific products based on KDE - I don't
like it as these topic specific spin like things should be desktop agnostic
and really done on top of existing desktops in Software Installer (GNOME, KDE
whatever). And create spins/formulas whatever only when it's really needed
(but then it would be more remix).

One another thought - it could serve as a place for desktops that would not
fulfil WS WG requirements but could fulfil KDE WG requirements (there are
a lot of new Qt/KDE based desktops appearing recently)...

CC'ing KDE mailing list. Due to some other stuff, I'm not very active
recently in discussion but initially KDE SIG was more inclined to own
product, then I saw a few people more inclined being part of WS WG and
now I think it's clearly steering back to spin/product. Remix would be
suicide - even KDE SIG is pretty big team, active,  with healthy
community, it would mean a lot of duplication etc.

Jaroslav