KDE integration/status for Workstation

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 5 17:12:17 UTC 2014

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> On the other hand, I'd not object going even more forward and have WS
> product as a GNOME desktop but with desktop agnostic set of applications
> offered in default installation. I think that's the way Christian thinks
> about it - better integration of both of these worlds (from theming, to
> accessibility). Once this part is done, workstation product could be open
> to serve as real one, not one specific desktop showcase (and doesn't
> matter which one, I really don't care in such case) product. Then, even
> that post install does not have to be release blocking and only optional
> thing for people who really want the Plasma desktop.

Huh? The Plasma Desktop (i.e. the KDE live image) really needs to stay
release-blocking, not just the runtime stuff on the GNOME image (assuming it
gets added at all)! There's no way the KDE SIG is going to compromise on
that.

We need no less than what we have now, a release-blocking Spin. And I don't
see why it shouldn't be a Product in its own right.

        Kevin Kofler