KDE integration/status for Workstation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 18:03:45 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 09:46 -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:

> > I think Christian actually meant spin, not remix, in the Fedora
> > definition of those terms.

> I actually did mean remix, but it of course do boil down to what spin vs remix
> actually ends up meaning. I do realize that they are both somewhat loosely defined
> terms with different people putting different meaning to them.

Eh? No, they aren't. They're quite clearly defined.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/about
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Remix

a 'spin' is a much stricter category than a remix: basically it gets to
choose its package set *from within the official repositories* and do
certain types of customization you can do via a kickstart file, and
that's it. Spins are pretty tied in to Fedora releases, pretty
'official' things.

a 'remix' is much looser: "a combination of Fedora software, with or
without add-ons, that can be created by any community member at any time
to produce interesting and compelling products." Anyone can build one,
it doesn't have to be a kickstart-based live image, and it can include
whatever third party software you like.

The Remix page has a concise summary:

"Are Remixes and Spins different?

Yes. A Remix can be created by anyone with our tools, and labeled with
the special "Fedora Remix" mark as set out in that logo's guidelines
page. A Spin, on the other hand, contains only 100% Fedora software, not
combined with any other third-party software, has been approved by the
Fedora Spins_SIG, and granted the "Fedora" name by the Fedora Project
Board. Spins are usually carried on our BitTorrent server and official
mirrors."
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey