Fedora Plasma Product announcement

Brad Hubbard bhubbard at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 06:21:18 UTC 2014

On 03/12/2014 08:01 AM, Lukáš Tinkl wrote:
> Dne 11.3.2014 22:58, Brad Hubbard napsal(a):
>> On 03/12/2014 07:36 AM, Lukáš Tinkl wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>> this is to briefly announce our intent to create a new "Fedora Plasma
>>> Product"[1], as part of the fedora.next initiative. This product
>>> should eventually replace the current KDE spin.
>>> Today, during the regular KDE SIG meeting, we formally ratified its
>>> Mission Statement and Governance[2] documents.
>>> Prior to officially submitting the proposal to FESCo, we're going to
>>> work hard in the following days and weeks on refining and polishing
>>> the Product Requirements and TechSpecs documents.
>>>
>>> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Plasma_Product
>>> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Plasma_Product/Governance
>>>
>>> Feedback and comments from the community are welcome and appreciated.
>>>
>>> On behalf of the membership,
>>
>> Hey Lukáš,
>>
>> I'm interested in what virtual keyboard would be included (if any) in
>> such a release?
>>
>> I'm asking because I'm playing around with getting word prediction going
>> on the Maliit keyboard for a disabled friend of mine and I'm interested
>> if this has been given any thought at this stage.
>>

> Does Kvkbd (yum install kvkbd) satisfy your needs or did you have
> anything else in mind?

I'll take a look at that but it looks like it may be a little dated (I
haven't checked)?

Something like this is what I had in mind, with the features described.

I've built it with presage and am packaging presage for Fedora and
intend to create some new Maliit rpms that give the functionality the
video describes.

  http://www.tizenexperts.com/2012/04/maliit-keyboard-word-prediction-error-correction-video/

It appears to work well from my early tests.

--

Kindest Regards,

Brad Hubbard
Senior Software Maintenance Engineer