Fedora Plasma Product announcement

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 15:07:53 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 2014-03-12 at 03:27 +0100, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 March 2014 21:06:54 John Aldrich wrote:
> >
> > > Got it. SMH! I love how people have to constantly rename things just to
> > > be
> > > "fresh and new"
> >
> > That's from 5 years ago. You've been living under a rock all these years,
> > not
> > KDE renaming stuff all the timeā€¦
>
> So everyone on this list (and the Fedora Users and Fedora Test lists)
> who's been using the term KDE Desktop for the past five years is living
> under the same rock. That's a pretty big rock.

We always tried not to live under that rock (sometimes more successfully,
sometimes less).

# yum grouplist
Available environment groups:
KDE Plasma Workspaces

But let's go back to the topic - we really want feedback on proposed
product...

A bit of background: when Fedora decided to create products instead
of universal all catch in Fedora distribution - Workstation, Server and
Cloud  products were proposed - the question if more products are
allowed appeared. From discussion so far, a lot of folks prefer to
have only three main products and then specific products aiming
specific use cases. Call it politics or whatever (for several reasons,
I'm not going to explain it here). So we decided to listen to this
hint and started working on Fedora Plasma product. It's not a pure
KDE general use case spin but adds bits on top of it and focus on
educational and scientific use cases. We believe it's the way how
to make sure KDE/Plasma/Workspace/whatever will stay relevant within
the Fedora Project.

Jaroslav