Behaviour of system tray bandwidth indicator

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 10:09:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-18 at 07:46 +0100, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am 17.03.2014 14:02, schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> > I'm using Dolphin to copy large files (several GB) to an NFS-mounted
> > NAS. This works fine except that the informational system tray pop-up is
> > showing absurd values for the copy bandwidth. e.g. a 2GB file is
> > declared to be finished when it's only just started. It looks like
> > what's being measured is the rate of handoff to network buffers. This
> > machine has a quad-core i7 CPU with 16GB of RAM and isn't doing much
> > else, so the entire file could be copied to system buffers very quickly.
> > However the actual LAN is 100Mbps so the real copy takes several
> > minutes, and it's only then that I get the pop-up saying it's finished.
> >
> > Is this what's going on? Note that the copy does work correctly.
>
> This depends on the NFS Server setup. If your NFS server uses async mode
> any copy is completed on the client as soon as the server has all data.
> Something similar is possible with async on client side. For details see
> man pages of exports (for server side) and nfs (for client side).
>
> Async mode has a risc of loosing data and not knowing it. If in async
> mode either the server or client crashes the data is inconsisten (wheras
> the file may be consistent).

Understood, however the /etc/fstab entry on the client side is
"user,rw,comment=systemd.mount" and the full set of mount options as
shown by "mount" is:

rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,
mountaddr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,mountvers=3,mountport=901
mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,user

which I interpret to mean no async, though maybe I'm mistaken. The
server side is exporting async but AFAIK that isn't important here.

For completeness, here are the screenshots I mentioned:

To the NAS: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=h7AE1yKPQ3cjmpa_1481HY

>From the NAS: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=hJltNVeWRMshWmD1vhtNMU

poc