Behaviour of system tray bandwidth indicator

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:00:00 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 13:14 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 20.03.2014 12:29, schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> >>
> >> The UI can only indicate what is visible to user space, it has no way to,
> >> nor is it expected to, know what the kernel does behind the scenes. If the
> >> kernel reports that it has processed the data, the UI shows it as processed.
> >> That is exactly as designed.
> >
> > No doubt, however it's not how it's *read*. The interface could be
> > clearer about what it's actually showing when the information is
> > misleading.
>
> how should it?
>
> if you write 100 MB to disk and the kernel buffers it
> from the application you are done, that's how any
> modern operating system works for decades
>
> if you don't want that behavior disable any caches and
> buffers but then your machine will be as slow as hardware
> years ago

Then why does the pop-up show "copy completed" only after it has been
transferred to the server? This is not consistent. In fact the more I
think about it the more wrong it seems. I'm being told by the widget
that X GB were sent in a fraction of a second (open to interpretation),
that the copy is not currently consuming any bandwidth (false), but that
it hasn't actually finished yet (true).

poc