Behaviour of system tray bandwidth indicator

Lukas Middendorf lukas+fedora at tuxforce.de
Fri Mar 21 08:25:15 UTC 2014

On 20/03/14 18:43, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I'm not saying it can do anything about it, I'm saying it should not be
> misleading. It claims to show transfer bandwidth and time to completion,
> but both are egregiously wrong. As I suggested earlier it should tell
> the user that these indicators are not reliable when the target is a
> remote server.

As I already wrote earlier, this is not limited to remote servers but
also applies to slow (removable) local storage (usb key drives, mobile
phones working as UMD, etc.) with the usually huge write caches you get
for current-day systems. It never is accurate when some kind of write
caching or buffering is involved, but for the named cases it is clearly
noticeable.