Behaviour of system tray bandwidth indicator

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Mar 21 12:54:35 UTC 2014

On 03/21/14 20:36, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 03/21/2014 07:05 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> Either that or just eliminate the indicator entirely if it's not giving
>> useful information (or rather reduce it to a simple flag that the
>> transfer hasn't completed yet).
>
> Disagree, based on my own preference and experience, bad progress is still better than no progress.  really.

Progress, yes.  But supplying information which is not certain to be accurate, no.

The original "complaint" is that the bandwidth, or transfer rate, being shown is wildly incorrect.   If it is not possible to determine that the information being displayed is reasonably accurate then it serves little good to display it as "fact", which many end users would interpret it to be.

I would prefer a series of scrolling dots that indicate that the transfer is ongoing with the hope that most of the time a stalled transfer can be detected and potentially indicated.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts