Blu-ray

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 12:59:04 UTC 2014

Did any KDE or Fedora or other Linux development team ever solve the
Blu-ray mystery for the K Desktop?

I recently acquired a Samsung external Blu-ray disk player/burner
(SE-506AB). It has a USB 2.0 connector through which it gets all its
power and signal. I just plugged it into a USB port on my Linux box,
popped in a commercial Blu-ray disk, and waited to see what would happen.

Well, all that happened was, it gave me three options: open it with File
Manager, look at the photographs with Gwenview, and open it with K3b.

The option to play the video content with Kaffeine did not show.

So I guess Kaffeine doesn't know how to play a Blu-ray movie.

Come on, guys. The world's going to Blu-ray fast, now that HDTV is
becoming standard. Have I missed something? Is there a way to play a
Blu-ray title in KDE (or elsewhere in Linux), other than ripping it (in
Windows, probably) and playing the rip on my hard drive?

Temlakos